Monday, July 1, 2013

Follow Your Dreams

I’ll start plainly:  After a week and a half in the Peace Corps, I am heading back to the US.  Why? You are probably asking.  I have noting against the Peace Corps, or Liberia.  It is a wonderful program, and is a very good thing for a lot of people. My reasons for leaving were entirely personal.  While I feel like this is somewhat embarrassing to admit, I do think I owe an honest explanation to my family and friends.  And I know that I found Peace Corps blogs very useful learning tools while I was applying, so I can hope that, by publishing this, I can offer insight to some future invitee or nominee who is on the fence.  (NOT that I am openly discouraging anyone from joining the Peace Corps- I am just encourage everyone to really think about their decision and follow their heart).

My Peace Corps application took a VERY long time- 18 months from the start of the application to departing for Liberia.  Generally, Peace Corps takes 9-12 months, and this is what I was expecting when I applied.  I had hoped to leave soon after my college graduation, although that was only about 6 months from when I turned in the application.  It was just one of dozens of job applications, but Peace Corps was the one I was most sure I could get- the odds for others were just too steep and I lacked technical experience.  I figured I would graduate, get some temporary jobs if necessary, and then leave.  But in that year between graduating and departure (and it was exactly a year: I graduated on June 17, 2012, and staging was on June 17, 2013) a lot changed.  The part-time jobs I had gotten to fill time and pay rent ended up being much more enjoyable than I had anticipated, and closely aligned with my ultimate career goals (I eventually want to work at an aquarium or zoo, so I figured working part-time at a children’s museum and part-time at a pet store was a reasonable first step).  The museum in particular was hard to leave, but when I finally got my Peace Corps invitation, I was both caught in the momentum I had built up attempting to prepare my life for Peace Corps and determined to not simply pass up this sort of opportunity.

For the first week or so after I got my invitation, I was mostly excited to be done waiting.  While I was a little bit disappointed to have been assigned as a secondary math teacher, rather than in environmental education (for which my regional recruiter nominated me), I was excited by the prospect of finally getting what I had worked at for so long.  But as time went by and I learned more about Liberia, I began to wonder if this is what I really wanted.  I knew for sure that I didn’t want to be a classroom teacher forever, and I was worried about spending two years getting experience in only that, though I knew Peace Corps was its own, much bigger experience as well (and would certainly look better on a resume than teaching for two years in America).  I continued with the process, passing medical clearance, applying for visas, and quitting my job at the museum, with each step making me feel more like I was stuck with the decision- that I had to continue moving forward, as it would be too much of a waste to turn back.  Sometimes, especially over the last two months before departure, I felt like this was the ONLY reason I was carrying on.  But I assured myself that doubts and second-guessing myself were normal when making a big decision.  I told myself that if I passed up this opportunity, I would regret it forever.  I asked myself if I was really reluctant to go to Liberia, or just sad to leave my life in California.

If you re-read my first few blog posts, it may become clear that by the time I left, I was just grasping at everything I could to try to convince myself.  But, I was determined to at least try.  Although I only admitted it to a few people, I hardly expected that I would stay for long.  I knew that people dropped out of Peace Corps midway through training, or even partway into service, and I half-expected to be one of them. I hoped that Liberia would somehow magically be so much more than I had expected, that as soon as I arrived, I would really and truly want to be there for two years.

Of course, it didn’t take long in-country to realize I couldn’t force the issue with myself.  I knew I was on a good path for my life, I knew what I wanted to do next, and I saw no good reason to keep pushing myself to stay in Liberia for two whole years when my heart just wasn’t in it.  I was not happy in the heat and humidity, or eating so much spicy food.  To top it all off, my body did not like the antimalarial medication I had to take.  I thought, I could deal with the physical hardships if I really cared about my project.  But classroom teaching is not something I care deeply about.  If I had stayed, I would have been drained, and not had a good attitude about being there.  It wouldn’t have been fair to myself, to my students, or to my fellow Volunteers.  So I left.

What’s next? You ask.  I will hopefully return to the Bay Area, and if all goes well I can return to my old job at the children’s museum, or perhaps a different museum.  And probably, in a year or two, I will start graduate school.  A lot of decisions still need to be made in the next few months, but I do feel like the first decision, leaving Peace Corps, was the right thing for me at this time in my life.


I do have some half-drafted blog posts that chronicle my short-lived adventure, which will be posted soon, so watch for those if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment