Monday, June 17, 2013

I'm Going On An Adventure: How a Not-So-Supportive Friend and an Eighth-Grade Musical Formed My Motivation.

I would like to tell a story.  A few weeks ago, I was having dinner with a friend.  He had not been initially very supportive of my decision to join Peace Corps, mainly for two reasons.  First, he thought it was unsafe; Second, he believes Americans should help Americans before we help the rest of the world.  But, as he could tell I was determined to go through with it, he seemed disconcerted to know that I was having doubts.  While he was still unsure of whether he agreed with Peace Corps' mission, he decided to try to be a good friend and encourage me.  Surprisingly, what he said has been my guiding motivation through the doubts of the past few weeks.

He mentioned the scene from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, when Bilbo Baggins runs through the Shire shouting "I'm going on an Adventure!".  Bilbo is a quiet hobbit with a life that is fine the way it was.  And yet, leaving that comfortable life leads to all sorts of unexpected rewards.  Joining Peace Corps, I think, will be similar- my job at the museum was reasonably comfortable, I had a good life, it may have even led in the direction I wanted my career to go.  But, if I go on this adventure, it will be greatly rewarding in ways that I have and have not imagined (I'm going to ignore the bit of the metaphor where Bilbo nearly gets eaten by trolls and finds a Ring that nearly causes the downfall of society).

The Hobbit has been rather close to my heart since I was thirteen.  There is, in existence, a musical version of The Hobbit meant for children's and youth theater groups, and it was the school musical when I was in eighth grade.  I was cast as Gandalf, and of course played a big part in getting Bilbo (played by one of my best friends- I have such fond memories of that show) to go on the adventure in the first place.  While I don't remember all of my lines, part of my song from the first scene ran thus:

I offer you adventure, 
A chance to really get away
And travel
That's very broadening they say.
Wake up,
Leave your house!
Life life!
Are you a Hobbit or a Mouse?

You've spent your entire life in this small cave
Now just once, before your ready for your grave,
Roar like a bull,
Live life to the full, 
Give in to the pull,
Of Adventure!

Ten years ago, I motivated Bilbo in the play.  Today, Bilbo motivates me.

I'm going on an adventure, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Thirteen mighty dwarves! Brawny, brave and bold! Shall slay the dragon, the awful dragon Smaug!

    You'll be wonderful lovely and I offer you best of wishes!

    ReplyDelete